Data Analysis and Manipulation using Power Query
- Develop competence in the use of PowerQuery for data manipulation and analysis.
- Understand the possibilities, benefits and drawbacks of alternative approaches to data manipulation (e.g. using traditional Excel or VBA algorithms).
- Overview. This course covers the use of Excel’s PowerQuery functionality both to manipulate and to analyse data.
- Practical Work and Exercises. Readers are expected to build simple examples for themselves as they follow the text. The course also contains downloadable data sets or simple models that allow a reader to do this practical work without having to enter large sets of data or repeat previous steps.
- Introduction and Basic Functionality of PowerQuery. Introduction to Power Query · Linking to external data sources · Simple operations to clean and manipulate data · Transposition · Pivoting · Unpivoting · Grouped queries · Report Generation
- Additional key uses. Appending and consolidation of data sets. Key functionalities and comparison with using pure Excel or VBA for similar tasks.
- Introduction to Advanced Topics. Overview of further possibilities · Introduction to M-language.