The CertFM Program
The CertFM Program is a comprehensive set of courses that is designed to develop you into a highly competent and well-rounded professional modeller and analyst. It starts “from the beginning”, but advances rapidly to cover topics that are generally considered to be quite advanced:
- The Core Skills program focusses on providing all key skills for general financial modelling purposes. Its completion leads to the award of “The Certificate in Financial Modelling and Data Analysis (Core Skills)”.
- The Advanced Level covers corporate finance, valuation and advanced topics in data manipulation and analysis.
- The Expert Level covers macros, automation, risk, simulation, optimisation, quantitative finance and advanced data and statistical analysis.
The Core Skills Certification Program: On-Line Self Study
The Core Skills Program is available as on-line materials for self-study, and consists of four course modules:
- Essentials of Modelling with Excel.
- Economic Modelling: Core Criteria, Calculations and Functions.
- Data Analysis and Statistics.
- Model Planning, Design and Best Practices.
The structure of the course modules is based on:
- Reading materials. These describe the concepts and practical methods of implementation, as well as providing detailed examples with screenshots to demonstrate the points made. The materials are visually very rich, with many images to show step-by-step processes and illustrate all key points. We believe that this highly visual approach using static images is more effective than using videos.
- Suggested exercises in Excel. It is recommended that readers follow the text by creating the models used in parallel. In addition to this implicit suggestion, the materials contain further suggested exercises at certain points.
- Quizzes. These are an integral and mandatory part of the Program. They are embedded at regular intervals, and relate directly to the prior course materials. Most quizzes require exercises to be conducted in Excel in order to be able to answer some of the questions.
You can sign up any time and work at your own pace.
We also offer support packages which allow you to ask clarification questions about the materials and quizzes.
The Advanced and Expert Level Courses
The courses within the Advanced and Expert Levels are currently available only as instructor-led classroom training courses, for public groups as well as private clients.
- For the public courses, the locations and dates of upcoming are posted on this site (currently on hold, due to covid restrictions).
- For private client courses, these are typically customised, and typically contain elements from several of the individual courses from courses in the Core, Advanced and Expert levels. Please contact us for more information about this.
The quizzes in the Core Skills program are mandatory, and each has a minimum pass mark (specific to each quiz, but generally around 60%). They are intended to be straightforward to pass, as long as the materials have been properly studied and the exercises completed. Each may be taken an unlimited number of times.
They have several roles:
- To reinforce and test understanding of the key points.
- To ensure the development of active skills.
- To create more engaging course materials.
- To create variety in the learning experience.
- To ensure credibility to the value of the certification.
The quizzes can be considered as forming a series of “mini-exams” on a continual assessment basis. The Certificate in Financial Modelling and Data Analysis (Core Skills) is therefore awarded at the end of the program, without the need for a separate final exam.