The CertFM is a comprehensive set of training courses that is designed to develop you into a highly competent and well-rounded professional modeller and analyst.
The Program consists of:
- The CertFM Core Program. This is available as on-line as self-study materials.
- The CertFM Specialist courses. These are available as instructor-led on-line or classroom sessions.
The CertFM Core Program
The CertFM Core Program covers all the concepts and methods that are needed in general applications in modelling and data analysis. It starts “from the beginning”, but advances rapidly to cover topics that are generally considered to be quite advanced:
- Level I focusses on core aspects of economic modelling and Excel.
- Level II covers data analysis and statistics, automation using VBA macros, and model design and best practices.
Each course consists of:
- Reading materials which describe the concepts, provide detailed examples and Excel screenshots.
- Suggested exercises in Excel.
The Core Program must be worked through in order from the beginning. You can sign up at any time and work at your own pace. We also offer support packages to students who wish to be able to ask questions related to the materials, which can facilitate their progression through the materials more quickly.
Quizzes and their Role
The quizzes form an integral part of the CertFM Core Program. They are embedded at regular intervals throughout the materials. They relate directly to the prior course materials and exercises, and so should be straightforward for anyone who has properly worked through the materials and conducted the exercises. However, the quizzes are mandatory, and each has a minimum pass mark (specific to that quiz) that is required to be achieved before a student can continue to the next step. Each may be taken an unlimited number of times, so that students can revisit the materials and exercises as necessary.
Quizzes therefore help to:
- Reinforce and test understanding of the key concepts and methods.
- Ensure that one develops active skills. Most quizzes require that practical work needs to be done in order to be able to answer many of the questions.
- Increase engagement in the course materials, by creating variety in the learning experience.
- Ensure credibility to the value of the courses and the certification.
Completion and Certification
The completion of the Core Program is an indicator of a high level of general competence and knowledge in modelling and data analysis. Students who do so are awarded “The Certificate in Financial Modelling and Data Analysis (Core Program)”.
In addition to the Core Program, we offer specialist courses, currently available only as instructor-led courses (classroom or on-line formats, by pre-arrangement with us):
- The finance specialist courses cover applications of modelling to corporate finance and markets, including financial statement modelling, ratio analysis, valuation, portfolio analysis, simulation, optimisation, and quantitative finance, including derivatives and credit modelling.
- The data specialist courses cover advanced applications of data manipulation and analysis, such as the use of advanced Excel, VBA macros, PowerQuery, PowerPivot, advanced statistical analysis and an introduction to machine learning concepts and algorithms.