The Certificate in Financial Modelling
and Data Analysis
THE MOST COMPLETE AND CREDIBLE CERTIFICATE IN FINANCIAL MODELLING
Truly master Excel, modelling, finance, valuation, and data analysis ... and gain professional certification to prove it
You can take the free Starter Course, before deciding whether to proceed to the main program.
A comprehensive set of self-study courses that are 100% online that you can do anywhere, anytime.
Free personal support from our team of experts to ensure that you advance as smoothly and quickly as possible.
Add credibility to your skills by earning a certificate at the end of each Level.
There are four Certification levels.
Levels and Courses
The courses must be worked through in order, from the beginning. This ensures that we can provide support to all students on a fair and equal basis, as well as giving credibility to the Certificates. At the end of each Level, you are awarded the Certificate for that Level.
This first course (Financial Modelling Starter) is free: It allows you to experience the style of materials within the CertFM Program, so that you can make an informed decision about whether you to continue.
LEVEL I (Foundations)
- Financial Modelling Starter. This introduces modelling from first principles, covers some essenital features of Excel, and includes an Assessment Test. TAKE THE COURSE.
- Foundations of Modelling with Excel. Core techniques to build and use models in Excel. Sensitivity analysis, core operations and short-cuts. Common structures and calculations used in modelling, such as for growth, ratio-based forecasting, and corkscrew structures.
LEVEL II (Intermediate)
- Decision Support and Model Planning. Principles involved in designing models to generate high quality decisions, including decision identification, structuring and criteria.
- Excel Functions for General Purposes and Structures. Covers around 40 core Excel functions and their applications in general modelling and data analysis. Describes common structures requiring functions to create, including flags, waterfalls, allocations, and triangles. Applications to modelling scenarios, breakeven analysis, financial structures, and data analysis.
- Economics and Financial Evaluation. Covers core concepts and calculations in economics and finance: Growth measurement and forecasting, time-value-of-money, CAPM, interest compounding, discounting, annuities, IRR, NPV, loans, depreciation, and so on.
- Essentials of Business Analysis and Valuation. Covers key aspects of ratio analysis, as well as business valuation using comparables and cash flow methods.
LEVEL III (Advanced)
- Data Analysis, Manipulation and Statistics. This course covers intermediate and advanced level data analysis, including the manipulation, consolidation and integration of data sets. It uses the functions and functionality of native Excel, as well as that of PowerQuery and PowerPivot.
- Model Design and Best Practices. This course covers the issues to consider when building a model, in order to maximise its effectiveness, transparency, flexibility and robustness.
- Principles of Corporate Finance and Valuation. This course covers financial statements and their modelling, as well as valuation using comparables and cash flow methods. It also applies many of the techniques covered in earlier courses to specific areas of finance, such as structures for financing, debt and tax.
LEVEL IV (Expert)
- Macros, Automation and Algorithms. This course uses VBA macros and functions to automate common tasks and to increase efficiency, as well as to create more powerful models and analysis, including applications to general finance, data analysis, simulation, optimisation, options and derivatives, credit models, and advanced statistical methods (such as basic machine learning algorithms).
- To check and reinforce your understanding of key topics.
- To ensure that you develop active practical skills (rather than only passive knowledge).
- To create variety within the learning experience as well as a more engaging course.
- To enhance credibility of the certification.
Supporting Your Progress
We recognize that on occasion you may become stuck on an Assessment Test: Our support service is available if that happens!
- We are here to help with issues that directly hinder your progression through the tests.
- Typically, we would review your answers and workings, and provide feedback, guidance, tips or hints, so that you can retake the test.
- We will not provide the answers directly, but will act as facilitators for you to find them!
- Our support services are provided directly by real-life experts, not chatbots or AI interfaces!
Please note that:
- Before contacting support, we expect you to have completed all the reading and done all the required exercises, and to have tried the relevant test several times!
- We reserve the right to determine the extent of support feedback provided (on a case-by-case basis).
- The support is available only to fee paying students during the course access period.
The CertFM Program is highly suitable for many types of people:
- Early- and mid- stage professionals: Reinforce your knowledge and practical skills and gain an additional professional qualification.
- Business school or economics students: Prepare and equip yourself to succeed in interviews and hit the ground running when you start.
- Non-finance professionals and students: Learn the core concepts and skills for general development or to change careers.
- CFA holders who wish to gain practical skills in the use of Excel for modelling and data analysis.
- … and manyy others!
Planning and Using Your Study Time
The volume of materials within the Program is significant and should not be underestimated: The reading materials for most courses are equivalent to around several hundred pages as standard printed text, and you also need to master the concepts covered, and do practical work, as well as take the assessment tests.
Each course in Levels II, III and IV would typically require several days of intense study to complete (or the equivalent time). Level I courses are likely to be able to be completed more quickly.
Currently, we are offering only the Initiation package, which provides:
- 3 months of access to Level I only.
- Includes support services.
- Awards the Level I Certificate in Financial Modelling and Data Analysis (Level I-Foundations) on completion.
- Suitable for those wishing to get started with the CertFM Program, and gain some certification, for a low budget.
- Currently being offered for a discounted price of £195+VAT.